Sunday

Marvelously Made

Two days in a row I've heard excellent speakers refer to our "caveman days". And while I appreciate the way they were bringing out the unique characteristics of men and women in the process, I just can't buy into the story of how those characteristics originated.

I believe there are deeper, richer reasons for the way we are (as men and women) than simply the best means of surviving and passing on our DNA. Essentially, I believe we were designed this way.

In the world around us, when we see incredible art or engineering, we immediately recognize a creator is behind the creation. Well, we are amazing. We are art. We are intricately engineered. Even if we only look at all the physical parts of our bodies--or even one part--we can't help but wonder how it came to be. But when we add in our capacity to think and feel and create, and on top of that, how our thoughts and emotions affect our bodies and vice versa, it is almost too much to process.

So, what do you think? Is it just lucky we are the way we are? Are you content to believe the reason we have our unique qualities is simply that they are the ones that survived? Or do you long for a greater purpose and design to be behind your beautiful existence?

A great king once wrote a song about this, and we are privileged to be able to read the expression of his heart thousands of years later in our own language:

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous--how well I know it."
~ Psalm 139:13-14

Enjoy rest and reflection today and have a great week!

No comments: